Friday, November 02, 2007

A Test

Last Thursday (not yesterday) I got a call from the MPA saying my security clearance had hit a bump. "Not again" I thought. Anyway, the caller told me that I didn't have to turn up for work on Monday, but that I was not to worry, that they would call me later on to tell me when to come to work.

Could I not worry? Looking back, I see that it was a test of whether I could believe in Phil 4:6-7 like I have been saying I do. Anyhow, 1 Cor 10:13 was about to manifest itself in my life, as when I was tempted to be worried, God gave me a way out of the temptation: He made me busy! First, I had Nat's wedding to prepare for. That took most of Friday as I went to Nat's church in the afternoon to help him shift tables and chairs. After that I spent some time talking and praying with Nat before going to pick my mum up from work. Had dinner with mum, then it was back to Nat's church for the wedding rehearsal. That went quite well. I was getting quite excited about being Nat's best man. The next day, I put on the suit I had bought for the wedding and went to Nat's church. I had to be there early to prepare the rings and to pray with the bride and groom. Once that was done, it was time for the wedding. It went quite smoothly, though I had clean forgotten the specifics of what I was supposed to do. Thank God I didn't make any mistakes. Saw Serene at the wedding, she was surprised to see me there and that I was the best man. I must have forgotten to mention it to her. Anyway there was no lingering awkwardness and in my suit I felt quite secure and confident anyway. Oh well.

On Sunday, the sermon was given by Rev Dr Tom Harvey. He usually speaks on Presbyterianism when he comes to my church, so it was nice to talk about the purpose of knowing Christian doctrine. That purpose is for us to build ourselves up against the idols of our age. Strangely enough, this message was repeated during my cell group's Bible study on Hosea. I was struck by how materialism threatens even me. The message was really timely. Anyway, after service, I got a call from mum saying the car had been bumped. I had to go home and see what had happened. At home, we looked up the authorised workshops under our car insurance plan and found one willing to look at our damage even though it was Sunday. So it was that the rest of the morning was taken up by a trip to the workshop. After that, I went for remedial training where I had a really good workout. Then it was on to the Thai Service where I actually stayed for the service. I was tired by the end of the day.

On Monday morning, I thought I would watch some TV to take my mind off the security check. There was no American football game to watch so I channel-surfed. I ended up watching the last two and a half innings of baseball's World Series between the Boston Red Sox and Colorado Rockies. Thus I saw the winning pitch and the celebrations of the Red Sox as they won the game and the series. The exhilaration on the faces of the players and fans was really something to behold, and I couldn't help being moved. After that, I sent the car to the workshop before going to play some pool. I was a little rusty but I made some good shots and I was quite satisfied with my level of play.

The next day, I didn't feel at all anxious. I watched the American football game between the Green Bay Packers and Denver Broncos. The Packers' quarterback, Brett Favre, threw two long touchdown passes, including the game winning score on the first play of overtime. Once again I was privy to raucous celebrations, this time by the Packers.

As I was watching the replays of the winning score, my phone rang. It was the MPA. From the tone of voice of the caller, I prepared myself for bad news. But the news was good! I had cleared the security check and could start whenever I liked. I chose to start on the coming Monday. I felt as happy as the Red Sox and Packers and deep down inside, I was thankful for God's help in helping me to pass His test.

No comments: