With the news that I could start work, the week went quite well. On Tuesday evening, I went for remedial training. Once again, I gave maximum effort though I really wasn't sure if it would be enough to pass my IPPT two days later. Anyway, I tried not to have negative thoughts and committed my IPPT to God. The next day, I played pool again! This time it was celebratory pool and I found myself playing at an even higher level than how I played on Monday. I was making bankshots and my speed control was commendable. In the evening, I had cell group, where I shared with my cell group mates my good news. The Bible study lesson was very similar to Sunday's sermon theme. I was encouraged to stand firm against the desire to accumulate every worldly treasure.
Yesterday, I spent the day resting in preparation for my IPPT. When the time came, I went to Maju Camp and reported for the test. I chose to do sit-ups first and did 39 in a minute, good enough for 5 points (I needed at least 2 points in every station as well as a total of 14 points). Then it was on to my bete noire, chin-ups. My weakest station, it would make or break my test. Mounting the bar, I did 3, then struggled to do a fourth. I needed just one more, but I didn't feel that I could do it. Focusing on the task at hand, I willed myself to extend myself upwards. Suddenly, I heard the robotic voice of the automatic counter say "5". I was so elated as I dismounted, as this meant that I would have a high chance of finally passing my IPPT. With 7 points in hand, I got another 7 from the standing broad jump and shuttle run. All I had to do was to run 2.4 km in 12 minutes and 40 seconds or less. I was quite confident of doing so as I had consistently recorded times of less than 11 minutes and 30 seconds over the previous 3 weeks.
As I began my run though, I felt that my legs were feeling heavier than usual. I began regretting having run so hard two days earlier, but I managed to keep a constant pace. My time was 3 minutes and 25 seconds after 800m. This was a little too fast and I slowed down a bit so I would not run out of steam. At 1.6km, my time was 7 minutes and 17 seconds. I pushed on, sprinting for the last 150m. As I passed through the timing gantry, I saw that I had clocked 10 minutes and 56 seconds! I had of course passed my IPPT and I felt like the Red Sox and Packers all over again! Thank You God for helping me through two months of remedial training and for carrying me through to pass my IPPT!
Today, I was reminded that I would not make a good taxi driver. This is not because I don't know the roads, but because I can't imagine driving all day. I drove over 100km just to get the car's rear window fixed. I am so bushed right now.
These last two posts have been quite incoherent in my view. Regular service should resume once I start work and am not quite so giggly. Haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment