11 weeks, 3 paydays. How time really flies. At this point, I think I'm finally adjusted to my job, though I suppose being on course on Monday and Tuesday has probably given me a little more impetus to log in and blog!
What have I been doing in my 11 weeks at the MPA? Well, as a policy analyst just starting out, I've basically been writing briefs, attending meetings, taking meeting notes, and writing the odd paper. Also, I have been surfing the web and trying to keep from falling asleep (especially during the lull period in December when the office was so quiet). Hoho!
MSN Messenger is blocked by the IT Dept. That's one less distraction I guess. Anyway, I kind of like taking timeouts and walking up and down along the 'street' between the two rows of cubicles. In my office, the cubicles have doors and windows. Some days (not many, I might add) I am the first cubicle occupant along the 'street' to arrive. It's quite funny to see all the other doors closed, like I'm in a ghost town.

This is a view of my cubicle from the 'street'. See how big it is? The other chair is supposedly for 'guests'. These days, I've taken to using it as I don't quite like the armrests on the other chair, they make me sleepy. The partly obscured steel cupboard is where I keep classified documents, though I hardly have any such documents right now. Fast forward to today, nothing much has changed (in terms of the emptiness) as I quite like having a nice open table.
This is the door to my cubicle. I took the picture from the inside of the cubicle as I didn't really want to be seen taking pictures standing in the corridor. Besides, when this photo was taken, my nameplate which tells people whose cubicle this is had yet to arrive. It arrived four weeks after my first day of work. My namecards came around the same time, and I've been giving them out, though mostly to friends. Haha.I've been blessed with good co-workers, as well as a good number of Christians in the office and overall organisation. My director's PA said she was glad that I had managed to make friends in the office (there seemed to be a concern that I might not fit in with my younger colleagues). I told her that I never saw that as a problem, that I have always managed to relate to younger people.
On Christmas eve, I was at work (it was half-day) when I went to the loo. When I came out, there were some people standing in the corridor, one of them with a guitar. It turned out that they were Christians and that they were going around the office carolling. I found myself drafted in, and with them I toured the 5 floors of the MPA, even making a stop at the office of the Chief Executive!
I'll be taking part in the Inter-Division Games, playing pool and futsal. I've been appointed as the pool captain for my team which consists of the Chief Executive's Office, Corporate Services, and the Policy Division. I've got to find two guys and a girl to join me in representing our team at next month's pool event.
Moving on to other topics, 2007 ended on a quiet note. I attended an evangelistic event organised by the church of one of my BSF co-DLs. The church is in the east. Am I being drawn eastwards I wonder. Gave my church's Christmas Eve and Watchnight services a miss. What was I doing when the clock struck midnight on New Year's Eve? Well, I was on the sofa taking a nap! I had dozed off at 11pm, waking up at 1:30am!
7 days into 2008, I received an SMS from a friend with whom I had dinner with on 26th December. She asked if I would like to meet her colleague for lunch and a movie on 19th Jan (she had asked me, at that dinner, if she could introduce her friend as well as her colleague to me. I said I wouldn't mind, though I didn't really think she would. Ha.). Anyway, I accepted, and since it's the 19th of Jan today, I should probably say something what went on.
I had parked my car in Plaza Singapura and taken a lift down to the first floor. Walking out from the lift lobby near Carrefour, I looked down the corridor towards the main entrance. I could see my friend and her colleague standing near the entrance. I had been told by my friend that her colleague is tall, taller than me in fact, but from a distance, she looked taller than advertised! She is as pretty as advertised. Haha. Anyway, I went up to them and thankfully I didn't feel quite so short.
Her name's Huijun, and today was the first time we saw what each other looked like. We said hello and together with our mutual friend, we had lunch and watched a movie, before I gave Huijun a lift to her church.
I'm not really going to mention any more details, as I would like to leave this to God.
Thus ends this post, incidentally, it's the first post of 2008. So malu!
No comments:
Post a Comment