There was an ad with that song in it, though I forget what it was. But that's not important. I guess it's just a song which aptly describes my state of affairs right now. I don't suppose I have to say what it was that I wanted that I didn't get, since you might already know. I'll just talk about what it was that I needed that I got, which is a job!
Come Monday, I will be a policy analyst with the Maritime and Port Authority (MPA). Whether I will still be one come the end of the week or after a month depends on the result of my security clearance. Please pray that the clearance will go well so that I will be able to make this job my first proper attempt at a career. Of course, given how I got the job, I must say that I trust in the LORD to do what is best for me. I mean, I had never heard of the MPA before till a friend from church called me up 3 Fridays ago. She told me that a friend of her's is a manager with the MPA and that this friend was looking for people who would be interested in a writing job with the odd opportunity to travel. My friend said that if I was interested, she would pass me her friend's business card on Sunday (3 Sundays ago).
So it was that I got her friend's card. I wasn't quite sure if I was going to give her friend a call, but on Tuesday (2 Tuesdays ago), I decided to just call her friend and see how things went. I spoke to her friend on the phone and emailed my resume to her. She emailed back to set up an interview, which would be on Thursday (2 Thursdays ago). Come the day of the interview, I went to the 19th floor of PSA Building where the interview was to be conducted. I was feeling a little nervous, but I prayed for peace as I waited at the reception area. After a while, my friend's friend came to meet me along with one other manager. They brought me to the interview room where they began the interview. I thought it went alright, and they seemed to like me as they decided to ask their director if he would interview me. So it was that I had two rounds of interviews in two hours or so. I had more confidence when I was speaking with the director, and I left the MPA office with a good feeling. Anyway I was not worried about whether or not I would be offered the job.
The next day, I went back to the MPA to see the HR manager. She said that she would have seen me the day before if she had known I was coming. Anyway she told me that if I was successful, I would know pretty soon. And it was pretty soon. Four days after that (last Tuesday), I got a call from the MPA telling me they were offering me the job. I accepted the job, and went to the MPA to be briefed on the terms of the contract. Last Wednesday, I went for the medical checkup after which I waited to be invited to sign the appointment letter. I did that today, though again I must stress the provisional nature of the letter. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to Monday, though I wonder what it will be like to work on the 19th floor.
I'm pretty amazed at how quickly things fell into place. 19 days from my first hearing of the MPA to signing the appointment letter. Of course, it's only because God is in control of all things. This is a lesson which has been impressed upon me so many times thanks to BSF. BSF has ended for the year of course, a pity since it was another reason for me to look forward to Monday. Come the new year, the Young Adult Class at Moulmein will be an established class, with the possibility of new leaders coming into the leaders' group. There will come a day when the leaders' group will exceed twenty or even thirty or even fifty people. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that but of course if it means the class gets bigger, I am happy for it to happen. Naturally, I will miss the intimacy which our leaders' group has enjoyed through the pilot class. The group has been just the right size at the right time, and I am glad to have had the chance to get to know everyone. Here's a picture of our leaders' group taken on the last class night.
No comments:
Post a Comment