Monday, August 20, 2007

New Boots!


Yup, I got a pair of new soccer boots. Red and black ones this time, to match my shinguards. They're called Propulsion Traxion Firm Ground. See the black 'gills' along the instep? They're little strips of rubbery plastic which help impart spin to instep shots.

I used them today for the first time, in the rain at the field near Block 50 in Ngee Ann Poly. How did they work out? Let's just say that for the first time in a while, I scored an incredible number of goals, seven in all. With all the running up and down, I can't quite remember what they were like, except for a few. One was a long range low curler taking advantage of an open goal. Another was a crisp low finish after I ran onto a long ball. The other two I can remember were probably the best goals I've scored in a while. One was a spinning lob that I produced, sending the ball looping over two defenders and the goalie and dropping under the crossbar in the far corner. The other was a goal I couldn't quite believe I scored. I had dribbled down the left flank and was running out of room. I took a swing at the ball with my right foot, catching the ball with the outside of my foot. It was a venomous strike that zipped goalwards, hitting the far post and falling into the goal.

I don't know whether the boots were really responsible for the amazing goals I scored today. All I know is that I do have the ability to score, but the boots were a real help. You see, I used to be able to produce a lot of spin on my shots but recently I didn't seem to be able to. Thus, I decided that my new boots would need to be a pair with the plastic gills. I bought them, wore them, and you can say what you like, but when you have good equipment, it does give you some confidence.

All this is even more amazing when you consider that in the first few minutes of the session, I blocked a shot with my left foot, twisting my ankle in the process! I ran off the pain and played on, and I got my reward!

No comments: