Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Weddings, Play, and Work

Woohoo... It's been an interesting time since my last post. Too bad the interesting time began with Liverpool losing the Champions' League final. But that's alright, you can't win them all.

Weddings... As of today, I attended 3 weddings in the last 10 days. The first was two Saturdays ago, and it was a classmate of mine from SBC who was getting married. He and his bride had their wedding at Fort Canning Park. Outdoor weddings are nice in some respects, but I don't quite like Fort Canning Park as a venue. Anyway it was good to see my classmate again, as well as some of my other classmates who were at the wedding. After the wedding, I went to watch a documentary at Cathay. It was "The Megumi Yokota Story" about the abduction of Japanese citizens by North Korea over a six year period from 1977. It was reasonably well produced, and it gave a good account of the experiences of the abductees' relatives. If you have never heard of Megumi Yokota, look it up on Google. Then when you figure out what the story is about, think of what you can do to change the situation.

The other two weddings were over Friday and Saturday. My JC classmate got married on Friday, and the solemnisation and wedding dinner were held at Clarke Quay. In a nice touch, the bride and groom arrived on a boat! It was good to see my JC classmates, some of whom I had not seen in a long while.

The Saturday wedding was of a university friend and her husband to be. This wedding was held at CHIJMES in the morning and the wedding dinner was at night at the Ritz Carlton Hotel. This was a little strange for me since I didn't really know this friend very well and neither did I know the vast majority of the guests at the dinner. Still, it was nice to meet some new people.

Tis the season to get married... haha...

Play... In between the two weekends, I had a reasonably good time. Received some good news during Thai dinner which really gave me cause to be happy.

On the Monday, I met up with one of my insurance agents then went to sign my appointment letter for my new job. In the evening, it was the final BSF training session. 5 minutes delay at peak hour makes a huge difference in travel time. Still, minipaus for dinner wasn't too bad. An embarassing situation followed, where I failed to recognise one of my fellow leaders and asked her if she was at training for the first time. Malu man. Training went quite well, though I was really tired, since I was still feeling the effects of the flu.

Then it was on to Bintan with mum and sis from Tuesday to Thursday. We didn't do much there, apart from swimming in the pool and the sea. It wasn't too bad, though I am peeling now from sunburn. If not for the mosquitoes, it would have been quite perfect.

Work... Reported for my first day of work yesterday. I can't go into specifics about what I do, except that I haven't started my real job yet. If I had, I don't think I would be blogging right now. The office seems quite nice, it has quite a pleasant environment, and there's even a pool table at the recreation centre which isn't coin operated! Hee... If you work nearby or are near Science Park 2 and 3, maybe we could have lunch, though for this week I don't know if I have any free slots. Apparently there's a lunch shuttle to Vivocity. I don't see how it's possible to eat there and get back, but apparently it's possible.

Best wishes to the Cambodian Mission Trip Team. May God be with you and may He give you whatever you need for the trip, be it safety, strength, or sustenance!

No comments: