Sometimes I sit down to blog but I don't know where to start. Usually that happens when something happens or I find something out which disrupts my flow of thought. Anyway I'll give it a shot and see where this goes...
12 or so years ago, there was a movie entitled "Four Weddings and a Funeral". 12 years ago, after watching this movie, I did something silly which I still look back on with some regret. Fast forward to the present, I was in church today, preparing to attend and help out at a wedding, the 4th wedding I've attended since the 26th of last month. Evan told me that the younger sister of one of our former Sunday School students had passed away. This student had left in midweek for the Cambodia mission trip and she would be flying back as soon as possible to be with her family. Sigh, I really hope I can find some words of comfort and encouragement to write down in a card or letter.
The first week at work went alright, considering there wasn't much for me to do. Next week I will be doing some more constructive things with my time at work, and I think it will be an even better week. Yesterday, my mentor at work, who happens to also be my immediate supervisor, came down to see me. She took me for a walk and asked me some things about my recent history and what lay behind some of the things she had heard about me. I'm glad I had a chance to explain to her the proper context of my remarks in interviews which had been taken in isolation by various people. It was a good talk we had and it was probably the most constructive use of my time at work this week. I won't really go into details about what we talked about on here, but if you happen to ask me about it (not in cyberspace though), I will divulge a little more about it.
I had a nice time going for lunch with my future colleagues, and with my fellow newbies. The possibilities for lunch are quite endless given that I drive to work, but for the time being, it's been nice eating at various places in the immediate vicinity.
The headline in the paper today gave me pause to stop and think. In the case of the self-taught radical who learnt radical ideology from the internet, what can be done to stop radicals from proclaiming their views on the internet? If we can't come up with something, this will be very worrying indeed. The internet's value as a propaganda tool has never been higher.
O LORD, You know all things, You know all men.
You are LORD above the powers of this world.
O LORD, You are my God.
No comments:
Post a Comment