Monday, October 24, 2005

What a long Sunday.

It began simply enough, did PA duty at 7:30 service. Then it got a little hectic as I had to get people to sign Ronald's birthday card and pay me for his present. Managed to get a short breather to eat some breakfast, then I listened to some of the proceedings of Music Sunday.

The message was a little controversial, advocating making most music forbidden to Christians. It's not that I don't agree with some of the reasons, but I'm not quite sure it's the best way to handle things.

I believe that as Christians, we live in the world, but we are not to be of the world. But I don't believe that we translate this statement into a lifestyle where we cut ourself off from the world. If we did that, how would we know how to bring our beliefs to the world?

Had a good discussion with Joan about this issue. I'm glad she managed to think things through eventually as she couldn't quite figure out exactly why she opposed making music forbidden.

Before English school, some of us played Monopoly. This time round, luck wasn't quite with me and Luke got ahead early. But I didn't give up. I knew I needed to get Luke to trade Collyer Quay to me. I offered him 3 properties but he said he wanted cash. I asked him to name his price and he quoted me $400. I immediately accepted his quotation and thus I had possession of the entire red sector.

Now, in a previous game, I was in Luke's position except it was Nat who needed Shenton Way from me to gain the red sector. I held out for $700 and this was key to bankrupting Nat a short while later.

This time round, as Luke was so far ahead initially, I had to bide my time. I calmly took the $40 rent that I got for owning the entire sector. This happened three times. But once I managed to evade Luke's houses, I mortgaged my other properties to raise houses in my red sector. Slowly but surely, I began to collect on my investment as my opponents landed on my red properties.

A note of interest: In Monopoly, the red group gets the most people landing on it even though the dice are fair. And that's what happened. As I collected my rent, I expanded my property holdings. Before long, Nat landed on it again except the rent this time was a lot higher. He declared bankruptcy.

Eventually, I knocked out another two opponents after upgrading to hotels on all 3 properties giving me around $1000 each time. So it was no surprise that I won in the end with my opponents admitting defeat.

It was a case of Luke failing to properly value his property. By not getting a competitive price from me, he effectly guaranteed my victory.

Thai Service was special. A mission team from Thailand came to visit and present some Isaan items. Things went quite well and at the end of the evening, everyone was pleased.

I need some good sleep tonight. Whee!

No comments: