Sunday, October 09, 2005

The end of an era...

No more "strategy" board games for me. I've had enough of them. As my lecturer says, role playing games do have their uses in that they help us to model real life situations that may occur (not that I'll ever be selling tobacco or corn).

Unfortunately, some people choose to model bad behaviour in games like these.

If you didn't already know, I value fair play. More than that, I like games to be played with sportsmanship. No cheating, but also no cynical play.

What's cynical play? How about doing something that will not benefit you at all but will directly harm someone else. "It's just a game", you may say. But I tell you that whatever you show yourself to be capable of in a game, that will show up in real life.

What's even worse? Oppressing the weak by playing cynically. If you're playing from a position of strength, do you really have to crush the weak?

Just imagine, you have a gun in your hand. Your 'enemy' is defenceless and has pleaded with you not to shoot. You think about and say, "Let's make things interesting" and pull the trigger.

I don't know how to handle stuff like this. I don't see how you could do that unintentionally. Could you possibly say you would kill a defenceless person unintentionally?

Pull the other one.

No comments: