Monday, August 22, 2005

Went for a walk this morning. An 11km walk!

Was doing a recce for my school pastoral care group's retreat activity. We'll be walking from Macritchie Reservoir to Bukit Timah Hill. The route has changed somewhat from what I remember. For one thing, instead of going round the rifle range on it's near side (to Bukit Timah hill), the route now goes down towards the butt, round the butt, and up the far side. I could however recognise some of the scenery I walked past today.

After the walk, I was waiting for my bus home when a maid asked if I could give her $1.50 for bus fare. I gave her the money and then she asked if I knew how to go to the Indonesian embassy. I didn't know so I called 100 who gave me the embassy's number. Called the embassy for directions and realised there was no direct bus there from that bus stop. So I decided to walk her to the next bus stop where there were 2 direct buses.

If I didn't know better, she's probably a runaway maid. Sometimes we take for granted the difficulties that maids and foreign workers encounter when they come to Singapore. They hope to do some honest work for honest pay, but often end up with a bad deal. If you know anyone who's mistreating their foreign help, please report them to the police.

Previously I posted something about not thinking about the future. After some time reflecting, I realised that wasn't exactly true. Someone told me something the other day, about an impending change of address. Since that day, I've been constantly thinking about the future, although all those thoughts were pushed into the background.

There's a song I've been hearing that helps me with these thoughts. It's by Gwen Stefani. Now, for those of you who didn't know, I like most of Gwen Stefani's music, dating back to when she was with No Doubt (Remember "Don't Speak"?). Anyway, this song's from her most recent album and it has lyrics that really resonate with me. If you've never heard it, it has such a gentle beat and accompaniment.

Cool

It’s hard to remember how it felt before. Now I found the love of my life...

Passes things get more comfortable. Everything is going right.

And after all the obstacles. It’s good to see you now with someone else.
And it’s such a miracle that you and me are still good friends.
After all that we’ve been through. I know we’re COOL.


We used to think it was impossible. Now you call me by my new last name.
Memories seem like so long ago. Time always kills the pain.

Remember Harbor Boulevard. The dreaming days where the mess was made.
Look how all the kids have grown. We have changed but we’re still the same.
After all that we’ve been through. I know we’re COOL.

And I’ll be happy for you. If you can be happy for me.
Circles and triangles, and now we’re hangin’ out with your new girlfriend.
So far from where we’ve been. I know we’re COOL.


No comments: