Sunday, August 26, 2007

No Goals Today But Who Cares!

Yup, I played soccer today but didn't score as I spent the 40 minutes of play defending and chasing down opponents. Wasn't really in the mood to play given the disappointing actions of some of the other players. Sometimes I wish the world was perfect, but since it's fallen, I have to see how I can help to change it one person at a time.

Led songs at the 11:30 service today. 2 worship leader and 2 songleader duties to go, giving me a grand total of 11 for the year. I never did more than 6 in a year before, so this load has been a little too much for me, even though I do enjoy it. I'll be taking a break from it next year so I will take a positive approach to the remaining duties I have.

Today I chose to lead a song that was new to me. It's "Worthy Is The Lamb" by Hillsongs. Thanks to Elder Samuel who tried his best to play it, and Jasmine and Benita for providing the backing vocals. I never set out to make the worship so emotional, but I could really sense the sincerity of the congregation, especially those who sang with their hearts.

Thank You for the cross, Lord,
Thank You for the price You paid,
Bearing all my sin and shame,
In love You came,
And gave amazing grace.
Thank You for this love, Lord,
Thank You for the nail pierced hands,
Washed me in Your cleansing flow,
Now all I know,
Your forgiveness and embrace!
Worthy is the Lamb, seated on the throne;
Crown You now with many crowns, You reign victorious.
High and lifted up, Jesus Son of God,
The darling of heaven, crucified.
Worthy is the Lamb. Worthy is the Lamb.

It's been a long while since I bought a Christian music CD. I was glad I bought WOW WORSHIP AQUA (blue cover) which has quite a few songs with really powerful lyrics. "Indescribable" by Avalon is another great song.

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea,
Creation's revealing Your majesty,
From the colours of fall to the fragance of spring,
Every creature unique in the song that it sings,
All exclaiming;
Indescribable, uncontainable,
You place the stars in the sky and You know them by name,
You are amazing, God!
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim,
You are amazing, God!
Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go,
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow,
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light,
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night,
None can fathom!
Indescribable, uncontainable,
You place the stars in the sky and You know them by name,
You are amazing God!
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim,
You are amazing, God!
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light,
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night:
(Chorus x 2)
Incomparable, unchangeable,
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same,
You are amazing God!
Don't these words really describe how you feel about God? If they don't, you don't know God all that well.
Another song I really like is "Days of Elijah" by Twila Paris. It's a song about the end of the age, when Jesus shall return, the same way He left for heaven, riding on the clouds.
These are the days of Elijah,
Declaring the Word of the Lord,
And these are the days of Your servant Moses,
Righteousness being restored.
And these are the days of great trials,
Of famine and darkness and sword,
Still we are the voice in the desert, crying,
"Prepare ye the way of the Lord!"
Behold He comes, riding on the clouds,
Shining like the sun, at the trumpet call,
Lift your voice, it's the year of Jubilee,
And out of Zion's hill salvation comes!
And these are the days of Ezekiel,
Dry bones becoming as flesh,
And these are the days of Your servant David,
Rebuilding the temple of praise,
And these are the days of the harvest,
The fields are as white in Your world,
And we are the labourers in Your vineyard,
Declaring the Word of the Lord!
Chorus
There's no God like Jehovah
Chorus
Out of Zion's hill salvation comes,
Out of Zion's hill salvation comes,
Out of Zion's hill salvation comes!
I wish I could write songs like these. Then again I've never really tried. Ha.
Played pool for a while after songleading. Played quite consistently, with a few mistakes here and there but lots of solid positional play. Great draw strokes too!
Then it was on to soccer, but the less said about it the better.
English class brought 3 visitors to see the English School. One of them is a staffworker with the Fellowship of Evangelical Students (FES) and the other two are from NUS VCF. The VCFers sat in my class and after that I told them that I had also been in their faculty and in VCF back when I was an undergraduate. We had a good time talking about VCF after class and over dinner, as well as talking about the ministry and mission of Santhiphap Church.
When the conversation shifted to Epistole, the newsletter of VCF (I had told them that I had previously served with Epistole as a writer and as the editor), I was given some sad news, which was that the content standard of Epistole has fallen. They have also reduced the number of copies printed in order to produce a flashier newsletter. Perhaps I should burst into an FT ala Jesus clearing the temple. Hmm...
Anyway, it's been a good weekend really, inspite of some rude shocks. I had some quality time with some of my friends so I guess that's something to praise God for.
Hallelujah!

No comments: