Thursday, April 26, 2007

Weekly Ramble

The days since my last post have been quite "happening", though I won't go into certain details so as not to give anyone the wrong idea.

Anyway, the week following the BSF presentation was quite uneventful. The news was dominated by the VA shootings and its aftermath. That provided a rather depressing backdrop for the week.

On Thursday I was out when I got a call from the Teaching Leader of the BSF YA Pilot Class. He asked me if I would consider taking up the position of DL (Discussion Group Leader). I didn't need much thought and so I agreed, for 3 basic reasons. Firstly, I used to be in the BSF YA Class back in my NUS days. The thing about BSF is after 3 years there, you'll be asked to serve in the class, most likely as a DL. Anyway, back then I didn't wish to be a DL, so I decided not to stay on past 3 years. Now I felt more confident and willing to take up the position. Secondly, since I knew the Teaching Leader previously, I was quite comfortable with working with him again. Thirdly, I would have the opportunity to lead a group of Christian brothers, something I haven't had to do since my cell group broke up. Anyway, I am looking forward to BSF, training starts in May.

On Friday, I went to the dentist. I had a filling done on one of my wisdom teeth. There were some painfully tingling moments when the dentist was doing the drilling for the filling.

On Saturday, I helped the Boys' Brigade with their rehearsal for Sunday's enrolment service. It went quite well and after that I went to play some pool. I was really rusty, no surprise since I haven't managed to play all that regularly.

On Sunday, I went to church early to set up the PA system. The service went well PA-wise. There were no hiccups or foul-ups either. However, I was a little disturbed by the speaker's use of the VA gunman's manifesto in his sermon. I didn't think it was appropriate to use the manifesto as it seemed that the speaker justified irrational action in the face of jealousy. To be precise, he said that if we get too proud and pleased with ourselves, we will invite people like Cho Seung Hui to get upset and shoot us. That's in a sense true, but surely there were other ways to illustrate this principle.

The closing hymn was the Boy's Brigade anthem "We Have An Anchor". I like this hymn a lot and I started to sing along. However, once we started to sing the chorus, I began to tear and I couldn't go on singing. You see, back when my dad was healthy, he and I helped out with a Boy's Brigade junior company. My dad would teach the boys how to sing the song. Anyway, even though I hadn't heard my dad's voice since 2004, I could hear his voice singing the song in my head.

I asked for, and received words of comfort from a few friends. Their words were welcome as I didn't realise how much I miss my dad.

Thai class at Hermon went alright. Then it was back to church for English class. By the time Thai dinner was over, I was ready to collapse. Nevertheless, the night did not end there as I went for a late night sprint, tehping, and taxi ride. I'm seldom out at that time of night but it was really quite nice, with the cool night air and agreeable company.

Monday passed quite uneventfully, though it rained quite heavily mit donner und blitzen. The strong wind and rain caused a tree branch to fall and bring down part of the fence which surrounds the Pine Grove basketball court. At cell group, I shared with them about my becoming a DL, and in the light of my sharing, we shifted our CG day to Wednesday. I think that's a better day for CG, but that also means that when BSF class starts, I will be busy in the evenings from Monday to Wednesday. Oh well.

On Tuesday, I went to the Singapore History Museum. It was very different from what I saw all those years ago when I made my last visit there. Still, it's quite nice. After that, I had lunch and went to Carrefour to buy bread, as I was headed to the Botanic Gardens to feed the fishes. Time passed so quickly and yet slowly as I threw the bread into the water. Then I went to Clementi Mac's for an apple pie before walking home.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I felt strangely tired. So tired I can't remember a thing about what I did. Hmm...

Today I went for a second interview, the final stage in the selection process for a job I applied for. Since I haven't been blogging about my job search, this may come as a surprise to you, unless I've told you about it. Anyway, the interview went quite well, taking more than an hour, though I didn't realise it at the time, but I leave it to God as to whether I will get the job.

I made some adjustments to Fly Me To The Moon. Finally managed to get the history links out of the way. Woohoo. Maybe I'll change the skin if I can find a suitable one. Hmm... any suggestions?

No comments: