Thursday, March 09, 2006

When skies are grey...

Actually the skies aren't grey right now. In fact, it's bright and sunny. The weather doesn't quite match my mood. But since I'm not allowed to talk about why my mood is grey, I won't say anything. I just wish everything was different.

I had worship practice for 11:30 service yesterday. It was my first practice of the year, and the first under the new guidelines for practices. I didn't know what to expect but I didn't think it would be too different. When I got to the chapel, I saw that the musical instruments were in the midst of being set up. Jasmine, who is one of my back up singers this Sunday, was singing some songs to piano accompaniment. I realised that I hadn't chosen any of those songs so I was a little confused. As I leaned over the piano to have a look at the song sheets, Jasmine said, "Those are my songs!". That only caused more confusion in my head. "11:30 service has an extra songleader?", I thought. Then it dawned on me that she was songleading at the 7:30 service. Ha.

Anyway the practice went alright. The atmosphere was a little more formal than what I've been used to, but it was good to know that the team is full of experience and technical knowledge of music and singing. I hope the actual service goes as well as the practice did.

Oh, on Monday I sent Connie and Hammy off at the airport. I wasn't able to drive them there as my mum needed the car. But I took a taxi there with them anyway. On the way, I took them to have a look at SBC. It was interesting talking to them on the way to the airport. Connie told me that Esther's place is one of the bigger apartments in Hong Kong. I was quite shocked cos Esther's place isn't that big compared to my place. But I laughed it off knowing that Hong Kong can't help but make full use of her land, just as Singapore is doing now.

I like going to the airport. If only it wasn't so far away. At the airport, I accompanied them to check in, then we said our goodbyes and they went through immigration.

A Rendang Double Meal later and I was on a train back to the West where I would be meeting my cell group (I decided to join Nat's group and not revive my old group). If there's one thing I don't like, it's long distance travel on the MRT. Long distance means more than 10 stops. It just feels so stuffy and suffocating, especially at rush hour. Having said that, even when the train is nearly empty, it's still an ordeal.

Cell group was pretty fun. I think it will do me much good. One of the places we meet is just a 10 minute walk from my place. It was nice to take a brisk walk back after cell group ended.

On Tuesday, my class went out for tea at Adam Road Food Centre. I had just been having a conversation about the state of church leadership (in general) with my guy classmates. When the topic switched to laptops, I turned to the left and joined in the conversation that the two of my lady classmates were having. I don't remember what they were talking about, but one of them asked me how Esther was doing. I said she was doing alright, at which point the other classmate asked me who Esther is. I ended up telling the story of how I met Esther to a few more classmates. They all thought it was quite a nice story. ^_^

If you think this post is really mundane, I'm actually making a conscious effort not to talk about any controversial issues.

One of my friends told me (he/she) likes another of my friends. For the sake of confidentiality, the pronoun's gender is not disclosed. But I'm really glad for (him/her) as I am glad for any of my friends who meets someone they think is God's chosen one for them. ^_^

Oh well, I think I'll stop here. I need to get up and walk around cos I'm in the library and I don't really like sitting in the library as it's a bit stuffy in here with all the books, especially the very old ones. Whee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,
I’m Connie. Thank you for your help in Singapore. I want to say thanks to you for a long time, but it’s really very very busy in Hong Kong, I can just have a break after I return to Hong Kong from Singapore. I’ll keep you and your families in my prayers. You and your mum are so nice.
I remember you want to be a missionary, it’s really not easy and can be so harsh that make people disappoint. Serving God need so much power from God ONLY, I believe that a missionary need much more, don’t you? May Grace of God always be full of you and your families.
In Him, Connie

Alex said...

Hi Connie,

It's nice to hear from you. I was glad to have the chance to show you some things about Singapore and I'm thankful for your prayers.

I think everyone who serves God full-time will not find things easy. May you also find your strength in our God and may His grace be upon you and your family too! ^_^