Monday, November 07, 2005

My first November post, 7 days into the month.

14 people will be going on the Thailand mission trip in December. It's a far cry from the days when we sent 25 people but I guess times have changed and we have to make the most of what we do have instead of worry over what we don't.

I've managed to delegate almost everything to my team members. I think I work better as a leader when I'm not buried in details. Also, I'm a manager rather than a commander because I like to manage relationships rather than pull rank. But it does mean that I have to check that I'm being firm and decisive when I have to.

Doreen will be the assistant team leader. I asked her to take on this appointment when I saw her at the cults talk. I was asked by someone why I didn't pick someone with more experience, like Karen or Jasmine. I said it was because I am interested in leadership renewal, not just in person, but in generation. I believe that the new generation has to begin to step up into new roles in church, especially in the Thai Ministry. And so I have decided to focus less on the minutiae and more on guiding Doreen even as I lead the team. Sounds tough, and it is tough. But anything is possible with God.

Had tea with Karen on Saturday night. She had just come from the kindergarten's graduation concert. We had a nice talk at Coffee Club. I don't drink coffee so I drank tea. Big mistake. Later in the night, I had finished my mission trip budget and wanted to go to bed. It was already 2 am. So I went to bed, only to find that I couldn't sleep! It took more than an hour before I summoned the willpower to keep my eyes closed.

How time flies!

2 comments:

j said...

more pple on a mission trip doesnt necessarily mean its better. I can rem days wer many went but the no. of working hands weren't many. think the most impt thing is to have a team that is united in purpose and not NATO. A team that is close and works well together harmoniously would be nice. In fact, i dun really like it when the team is too big cos cliques tend to form, and somehow ppl feel more distant.

Alex said...

Wow, a comment!

I know what you mean. I was thinking from the perspective of missions and how much (or little) it permeates the church.

I hope this team will gel properly. I've been on too many trips where there were cliques.