Saturday, September 03, 2005

Played soccer this morning with Dominique, Roy, small Stanley, Bryan Eng, my co-teacher at Sunday School (Ben Tan) and his two sons. Was itching to play cos SBC soccer was rained out yesterday.

I realise how much I miss playing on grass. Though I've played more soccer on hard courts than on grass, there's always something missing. For instance, I can't make sliding tackles on hard courts. Sliding tackles are an integral part of my defensive makeup. Imagine the shock a striker gets when you suddenly appear to make the tackle. When you time it right, you can really fly into the tackle without committing a foul.

Also, on grass you can do things with the ball that typically don't work on hard courts. For example, you can turn while leaving the ball on the ground and then flick it forwards.

Played for about one and a half hours. It was overcast at first then as noon approached the sun came out. My face is a little sunburnt now. Once we had finished playing, it rained very heavily.

I scored the most goals today, including three in the first game; one tap in, one right foot drive, and one left foot strike from a cross. I also made tackles that saved a few goals.

Do I prefer scoring or do I prefer making saving tackles? I guess I like them both, but if I had to make a choice, I think scoring is a little more fun, especially to a player like me who usually plays defensively.

Went home to wash up, then it was back to church for board games. It was kind of nice, considering that I didn't play too many mind-racking games. I played about five different games and had quite a bit of fun.

The last game I played was Viva Ilre. It's a game where you have to get your king candidates into high positions to score points. I finished next to last, only beating this girl who was sitting next to me. During the games, she would talk to herself sometimes. At one point, I asked her if she was psycho. Anyway, she was saying that the room was quite cold due to the aircon. Then her arm brushed against mine and she said, "You're so warm!" and touched my arm a few times to prove her point. That was weird. But I took it in my stride. Turns out she's the daughter of Peter Poon, a pastor at ORPC. Disclaimer: She's only 16 and I'm just stating the facts of what happened.

This was the first Saturday that I didn't feel the need to take an afternoon nap. Maybe I've gotten used to the 4 day week.

No comments: