Monday, July 25, 2005

School starts for real tomorrrow. I can't wait... yeah right.

Why do people make judgements without finding out all the pertinent facts? It just leads to misunderstandings.

Anyway, the last weekend of my vacation passed so quickly. On Saturday, went to Downtown East for lunch with the Thai Ministry Working Committee. It was at Suki Sushi which is basically a buffet restaurant. The food wasn't great and the variety wasn't so extensive. It was a little disappointing that the lobster salad was all gone by the time I got there. What did I eat? Well, apart from a small serving of fried rice with lamb stew, broccoli and gong bao chicken, I had three lamb chops, 6 raw rock oysters, a salmon steak, some sashimi and some unagi. Topped off with a small serving of ice cream. Plenty of cherryade along the way. A note to all, please keep me away from buffets.

On Sunday, I had to share about the mission trip at the 9:30 and 11:30 services. The video was pretty cool. Even though I had previewed it a few weeks ago, each time I watched it, it seemed so fresh. Anyway at the 9:30 service I really enjoyed myself. I made some nice points in a very serious manner. At the 11:30 service I was suffering from fatigue and I don't think my sharing was as polished than it was at the previous service.

Had lunch with Mike Krutsch, a missionary to Thailand who will be going on to Cambodia. It was good to catch up with him after so many years (We first met more than 10 years ago when he was on his way to Thailand).

Then it was back to church where I played Civilisation with Nat, Luke and Jared while waiting for my English School meeting. With some tough talk, I built up my empire while making some feints which threw Luke off balance. Playing dumb, I traded with Nat and Jared to rake in megabucks which permitted me to build up my army and upgrade all my settlements. The end result? A 9 point win on the strength of my cities and sound economic policy.

Economic policy? For instance, 40 dollars/denarii buys 1 point upgrades for 8 small settlements, leading to 8 additional victory points. 30 dollars buys another piece of technology which gives 3 more victory points and increases the multiplier effect of critical resources. In the long run, the second option is more attractive. But if the game is ending, the first option is better. That's the option I chose.

After English class, I had the Thai Service dinner and prepared to share at the Thai Service. By that time, my acid reflux problem was really bad. I was in poor shape and it showed. I had to go in and out of the room before my sharing to spit out foam and saliva which I had. Unfortunately, someone misinterpreted my going out and coming in as a lack of concentration. I hope that person comes to his/her senses.

Now listening to "In The Light" by DC Talk over and over again. It's the song from the drime that the Canadians performed during the mission trip. It brings to mind many pleasant memories.

No comments: