A friend of mine has a grandmother who suffered a stroke and lost some bodily functions. I hope she'll continue to keep things in perspective and I'm sure that whatever happens, all of us in the body of Christ will be there for her.
I still remember when my grandpa passed away. I only knew my mother's parents as my father's parents passed away before I was born. And my mother's mother passed away some time ago in 1989. So this grandpa was really the only grandparent I had for a large part of my life.
Anyway, he had been suffering from cancer and in the last few years of his life, he lost most of his ability to move around, he couldn't really speak, he lost his lucidity. Cos he lived in Ipoh, I didn't get to see him a lot.
One night in April 2003, we got a phone call from mum's brother-in-law in Ipoh. He said that grandpa was in a very poor state, that we should come quickly. So we drove up thru the night to Ipoh. Things were very tense, we came off the expressway at the wrong exit and found ourselves in an unfamiliar part of town. Also, it was about 5am so it wasn't easy to see where we were. About forty-five minutes later, we found our way to grandpa's house. As we pulled into the driveway, we could see a coffin in the living room. He had passed away while we were driving up, not long after we left Singapore. I was both sad and glad.
No comments:
Post a Comment