Saturday, September 08, 2007

Another VCFer...

I had just got to Bukit Timah Plaza where I was intending to catch up with my friends from Emilline's wedding planning group who had gone ahead of me on their way to lunch. Caught up with them at the small Korean food stall next to the CD shop when I saw a familiar-looking girl sitting inside the shop, having a bowl of noodles. I frantically searched my memory to try and remember what her name was and how it was I knew her. In the end, I had figured out her first name but not where she was from when she noticed me and a look of recognition appeared on her face. "Alex right?" she said. "Cheryl?" I said. She said yes and I said, "Cheryl what?" and she said "Cheryl Teo". I still had no idea where we had met before so I asked her how we knew each other. She told me that we knew each other from VCF in our NUS days.

I slowly realised who she was and we asked each other how we had been doing. She told me that she was waiting to take her bar exam after finishing her law degree which she took after her arts degree. She had been away in the UK the past 4 years and was only in Bukit Timah Plaza because she had been told of the many changes that had taken place in the shopping centre. She said to me that she could still remember reading my Epistole column and how she thought that it was pretty good. I told her of my recent encounter with some present day VCFers and how I had been told of the present state of Epistole.

Anyway, she had some questions about Romans chapter 1 and 2. Without my Bible in hand, I had to rely on what I knew about the chapters. Anyway the crux of her questions had to do with an inability to comprehend how the description of sinful man could apply to us today. She said that she herself had difficulty with it, let alone her non-Christian friends who had read the passages. In the end, I think I managed to explain to her that while we may not be able to see ourselves in the description given by Paul, we do understand that we are sinners who need the grace of God. If that is the message that we share with non-believers, we trust the Holy Spirit to work in their hearts to convict them of sin.

Also, as David Geisler mentioned in his sermon last week, sometimes we can't actually present the biblical truth about sinful Man to non-believers. Sometimes we have to ask questions which they will eventually ask themselves which may or may not open the way for them to know God.

It was strange to meet yet another person who reminded me of days of yore. Of course I live in the present, and I know different people now. But nevertheless, perhaps God is telling me something.

Indescribable! You are amazing, God!

No comments: