Friday, February 23, 2007

Rain, Flu, and Peter Pan and other stuff...

I'm back after the longest time between posts since I started blogging. Why haven't I been blogging? As the title suggests, rain, flu, and Peter Pan had something to do with it. January was a month of rain and I got caught in the rain at least twice. No surprises then when I came down with a bug which waxed and waned till it left me after nearly 3 weeks. What about Peter Pan? You might have read about Peter Pan peanut butter being recalled due to salmonella contamination. Well, that's the peanut butter we had at home and in the month of January, I made one of my favourite snacks, the peanut butter and jam sandwich at least twice, using generous amounts of peanut butter. I can't say for sure I had salmonella poisoning, but I did have some nasty diarrhoea for a while. I thought it was, and it still could have been, due to the bug I was down with. Oh well.

I had my cue tip changed and since then I feel a lot of my confidence in my cue returning when I have been using it to play. I got a $28 tip using the vouchers I got when I renewed my Mambo membership. So far it's been worth the investment. I also managed to put off any thought of buying a break cue when I remembered my dad's cue that had been lying idle in a corner of my home. It's perfect for breaking as it's nice and heavy.

Hearing that the Young Adult Fellowship was making a comeback, the thought of joining its committee came to mind. After some prayer, I made an approach to Kelvin, the YAF committee chairman, and told him I was willing to join the committee. I hope the YAF will be able to make some progress over this year.

For some reason, I decided to try baking bread. Not just any bread, but a sourdough. What seemed simple in the recipe turned out to be quite tricky. None of the bread I baked looked anything like the picture on the recipe. At least it was well received by those who tried it. I will be baking cornbread next as I have to use the cornmeal that I bought for the sourdough but was really not needed in the end.

On homemade food, ever heard of homemade bak kwa? The new lunar year has just begun, and bak kwa is an all-important part of the celebrations. You can never seem to get enough of it. But with its price going up during the festive period, it's becomes quite a luxury item. So I was so amazed when Stacey told me she and her mum and aunt had been making their own bak kwa. When I heard this, I wished I lived in Signature Park so I could see it with my own eyes. Anyway, I did get to try it eventually, and I must say it's as good as if not better than what we bought from Bee Cheng Hiang.

I've been quite busy with the Thai lessons that will begin this Sunday at Hermon BP Church. Hopefully the first lesson will go well, setting a good precedent for the rest of the course.

It seems that things have come to a head between two of my friends. As if to confirm what I've been fearing, when I went to the zoo on Tuesday, I happened to read the zodiac prediction for those born in the Horse year. It said that Horses should stay out of other's affairs for this year. Now I don't believe in this sort of thing. but it's kind of spooky. Anyway I will continue to pray and hope for reconciliation even if that's not quite likely right now.

Alright, I'll stop here for now. I regret that I've lost so many weeks of memories thanks to my failure to update the blog, but I'll just have to soldier on because life rolls on.

No comments: