Yesterday was a day of army business for me. I started the day knowing that in the evening I had my last session of remedial training to attend. It was the final chance to pass the physical fitness test and avoid having to take the test again till before my 30th birthday. If I failed, I'd have to take it again before my 29th birthday. I wasn't sure I'd be able to pass but I figured I'd just go and do my best anyway.
In preparation for the 2 week weapons course I'll be attending from the 13th to the 25th of this month, I dug up all my army stuff which I had packed away in my room. I tried on my uniform to see if it still fit after 4 years. The trousers turned out to be a much closer fit than they used to be. Anyway, after looking through my things, I realised that I needed to get some replacement items for my fullpack. Also, I had to get a tag saying "Singapore" affixed to my army tunics. I've always thought that was unnecessary, as if we'd forget what army we're from.
Went to Clementi Ave 2 where there's an army supplies shop. Got everything I needed, spending over $60 in total. Now I just have to get it all packed nicely into my fullpack.
Came home and soon enough it was time for me to go for my remedial training. Went to the camp as usual and approached the test counter at the fitness centre. The clerk at the counter scanned my military ID and looked confused. He said to his colleague, "Is there a problem with this card?". He then said to me, "Go to counter 3 (enquiries)."
At counter 3, I handed over my military ID to the fitness instructor manning the counter. Scanning my card, he said, "Hmm, go home, your remedial training is completed. No need to take the test today." I was stunned, to say the least. I was supposed to have taken my test the day before but I called to say that I'd take it one day later. My call was logged and my request acknowledged, but the fitness centre computer system interpreted my postponement as a permitted absence and since my training program was to end on the 1st of November, I was considered as having completed the program.
So it was that I was sent home without attempting the test. Now I'll have to train for a test which I have to take before June next year. Having gone through the remedial training program, I do feel fitter, but I do need to carry on building upper body strength and cardio-
vascular fitness. Who would like to go jogging with me? Or to the gym? I could do these alone but it's more fun when friends are around. At least that's what I think.
10 days to go to my course! Ahh!
No comments:
Post a Comment