Yesterday was a really long day for me. But it was a long day of mostly fun things. I was on PA duty so I got up early to go to church. Service was good and PA duty went smoothly. Then it was on to Sunday School, but before that, I checked on where the mission trip registration now stood and also tried to explain to a church leader why it would be good to buy or part-finance a new portable PA system that weighs just 18kg all in. Sunday School class went alright, though I had to call time-out twice to stop some name-calling.
After class, I went home to meet mum as we were going to the Asian Civilisations Museum to see the Hidden Faces exhibition. It was also "Let's Go Japan!" day at the museum. When we got there, we spent some time watching an ikebana display. Ikebana is fine with me but the demo was rather dull. Next, we watched a Japanese drums performance by a group of ladies from the Japanese Association. That was alright though I'm more and more confused as to where drum playing originated.
Then we went upstairs to the galleries. The ACM is a nice place if you like history and culture and have a day to spare. As we didn't have that long, we rushed through most of the exhibits before entering the room where the Hidden Faces exhibition was going on. This exhibition is basically about Japanese masks which have been used through history for ritual and performance purposes. Noh, kabuki, and other forms of Japanese theatre all make use of these masks.
After the museum visit, I went to church for English Class. I was going to have to take over class on behalf of a teacher who had to work all day yesterday. After looking at the material for the lesson, I started playing guitar. Sitting on the parapet outside the classrooms, I started to play and hum a song. I saw Rose walking towards the church from the petrol station, but I carried on playing and humming. As she drew near, she said, "I know that song!" I hadn't realised I was playing and humming that loud. She was early for class so we had a nice little chat about how we were getting on as well as the 'art' of hoarding possessions.
Class itself went fine, though I really feel inadequate as an English teacher. I guess I just have to do my best whenever I am called upon to take over a class.
Joan was there helping out in the kitchen, and after my class had finished, I had a talk with her. It seems that things aren't quite what I had imagined them to be, and perhaps there is more to what I have been told. Anyway I'm sure the truth will come out in the end. I asked Joan if she was going to go on the mission trip and she said she would, bringing registration to a close as the pre-determined team size had been reached.
After dinner, I met up with Luke and Jared for a game of Puerto Rico. I found myself in a position where I was able to sell my cash crop without competition more than once. This, combined with my ability to enjoy large discounts when buying buildings meant I was able to run away in the building race. As it turned out, my fast pace of building ended the game before Luke and Jared's respective strategies could take effect. I finished 6 points ahead on strength of building. Woohoo.
Jared went back after that, and I went to play pool with Luke. I haven't played for a few weeks because my body has been sore from remedial training. It was a pleasant surprise to me that I was able to produce a consistently good display of shot-making and positional play. I made very few errors enroute to a 9-0 blanking of Luke in 8-ball. Luke wanted to play 9-ball so we carried on playing past 10:30. In 9-ball, luck is more important if your pool skill isn't quite complete. We both had fluke shots as we shared the first four racks. I was getting tired and couldn't quite make my shots but I still managed to steal the last two racks by hanging on. By the time we were done, I had the most lopsided victory margin in my 'rivalry' with Luke.
Was so tired after that, I took a taxi home.
I am a winner! Ha.
No comments:
Post a Comment