Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In the last 8 days I've had two strange dreams about somebody I know. I wonder if my dreams are influenced by what I really feel or if it's the other way round.

I tend to dream more dreams about real life than about fantasy situations (like when I'm dressed in armour and going off to battle). Of course, you might say my dreams about real life are really fantasy situations, like when I dream that somebody likes me. Then again, how do I really know which real life dreams are real and which aren't?

Sometimes the most mundane things appear in my dreams. Then to my surprise, they actually occur in real life. It's rather like deja vu which is said to be a state of confusion in the mind.

Sometimes I dream dreams which make no sense. Many years ago before my very first mission trip, I had a dream about a friend who was going on the trip. In the dream, I dreamt of a house in Thailand. We would be visiting this house on the trip but I had never seen it before. Anyway, in the dream, something happens which makes me a little worried about what will happen during the mission trip. You can imagine my shock when we arrive at the house and I realise that I've been to this house in my dream. In order to prevent the events of the dream from taking place, I make sure I don't look in a certain direction.

In a dream I had this afternoon while I was taking a nap, I dreamt that I was waiting for someone to come back from another country. In the dream, I wake up and realise that it's already evening (it's only 5pm in reality). The strange thing was I remember going to sleep on the sofa in my place only to wake up in another place. My friend was there too having returned. Upon waking up, I found I couldn't really see as my eyes were very tired. But I heard the sound of my friend's voice, and through my blurred vision I could see where the sound was coming from. Walking up to my friend, I said, "Is it really you?" Saying I couldn't really see, I reached out to touch my friend on the arm to realise that my friend was really back. I won't go into the details of the rest of the dream suffice to say they involve some feelings that seem to be coming back.

Anyway I am glad I don't have dreams that are too scary. You know, the kind where you wake up in a cold sweat. The scariest dreams I have usually involve work and deadlines.

Anyway I wouldn't read too much into dreams. What do you think?

2 comments:

j said...

yah i wouldn't read too much into dreams...altho sometimes, just sometimes, there may be a grain of truth in it somewhere. prob a reflection of what you may be thinking in the day. subconsciously or not. But that's not always the case lah. so don't think too much into it. so who's the person? heh...

Alex said...

I know what you mean. When we read too much into dreams, they begin to influence our behaviour.

I suppose most of my dreams reflect what I am thinking about during the day. In the second dream, I was indeed waiting for someone to come back but didn't know what time my friend's flight was landing.

I'm not going to reveal the identity of the person I dreamt about but I suppose I can be read like a book.