Here's an illustration that I came up with for my Sunday School class. Posting it here cos I think it really speaks to Christians who think they do not have dramatic conversion experiences. You know, like Paul's in the Bible.
Here it is: God has called each and every Christian. But sometimes, when you don't have a dramatic conversion story, you can't help but feel that maybe God hasn't called you. I mean, if you were born into a 'Christian' environment you may find it hard to define when you finally made the life-changing decision to follow Christ. All you might have is a "gradual progression" i.e. you grew and grew and one day you realised that you had become a true disciple of Christ.
That's how I used to feel like, though I wasn't born in a Christian family. Cos things just went smoothly; I attended Sunday School, served in church, and suddenly I'm in SBC studying to do full-time ministry.
Anyway, during my Asian Church History class, Dr James was stressing that Christianity originated in the Middle East, not Europe. She was talking about how the Gospel was brought to countries in the Far East and South East Asia. That was when I realised that every Christian is really special and is truly called by God. After all, wherever we are in the world, we are probably living among many non-Christians. Also, we could be living in places where the Gospel has not been preached.
Given the lack of motivation that many Christians have for world mission, if we were non-Christians living in ignorance of the Gospel, we might very well die without hearing the Good News.
So if you believe in and confess Jesus as Lord and Saviour, thank God for miraculously bringing you the Gospel over many thousands of miles to wherever you are. Also, if you are a Christian and aren't already concerned about the unfinished work of the Gospel, now's a good time to start being concerned.
No comments:
Post a Comment